A passion for photography often comes with a sense of wanderlust; it entails a desire to move around the block, around the city, around the country or the world to capture the best of life through our favorite lenses. A travel tripod is a necessity for those who want to take the perfect shots every time in a seamless, stable and professional way to ensure that each photo turns out exactly as the photographer wants it. Therefore, I have decided to take a look at several of what I consider to be the best travel tripods out on the market today to help any prospective buyers interested in purchasing their own to make a more informed decision beforehand.
Best Travel Tripod
Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head
Top Features of the Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head
Sturdy and Aptly Sized
When headed off to a new beautiful trail to take some great photos of the wild, I need something that is going to be lightweight enough for me to potentially have to trek up the side of a mountain with in order to get the perfect shot. That said, I need something that is not going to sacrifice its durability for its weight, especially when I am using it often or taking it on any sort of trip that involves rugged terrain. I do not have to worry over this issue with the Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head! This travel tripod is relatively easy to tote around and definitely does not add significant weight to my existing supplies. It is crafted out of durable aluminum that has been able to withstand the elements that I have taken it out into. This is perhaps the best travel tripod in terms of weight, or one of them.
Can Support Sizable Equipment
I do have cameras of varying sizes depending on the job at hand, so having a travel tripod that is versatile in the sense of the load that it can carry is imperative to my work. The Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head is the perfect size for me to use any sort of equipment on, up to an impressive 13.2 pounds of weight. I have not yet once experienced any sort of wobbling or otherwise unsteadiness while using this tripod, not even when I am incorporating my heaviest gear into the mix. Alongside the weight, the Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head is also set at a comfortable height for me. It measures 62 inches which is just about ideal.
Easy to Use Components
When I am out in nature or getting ready for a photo shoot of any kind, the last thing that I want to be doing is spending my time messing around with the parts of my tripod in order to find the perfect settings. The Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head eliminated this issue for me altogether. Unpacking and setting up my gear is an absolute breeze. This tripod features a super smooth ball head that is exceptionally easy to attach my camera to and only takes a few seconds to accomplish. When I am done, I can enjoy the quick release plate mechanism to pack up my gear just as swiftly. The included bubble level is simple to read and really does wonders when I am working to perfect the angle and levelness of my impending shot to ensure that I am thoroughly satisfied with the results.
Perfect for Any Terrain
It does not matter whether I am taking photos at an indoor wedding on sleek wooden floors, against the unstable grass and soil of an outdoor event or on a slick, gravelly, or moss covered trail in the middle of the forest–the Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head can stand up to the test. This travel tripod is simple to set up on any terrain with its quick release legs. At the end of these legs rest non-slip rubber feet that grab hold of whatever material they are placed upon and they do not let go until I am ready to move again.
- 62 inches in height
- Adheres perfectly to stabilize on most types of terrain
- Can support a weight of 13.2 pounds
- Durable aluminum composition
- Includes a ball head, rubber feet, a quick-release mechanism, and a bubble level
- Includes carry case
- Plastic quick locks on the legs. Some online reviews of the Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head have expressed their concerns about the plastic locks on the legs, fearing they might not stand up to the challenge, but fear not! I have used this tripod on several occasions and each one was as stable of an experience as the last.
JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle
Top Features of the JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle
Durable and Lightweight
The JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle is great for taking with me wherever I go. I enjoy a variety of photography types, so being able to tote my travel tripod around with me to any location is imperative when I consider its quality. Not only is it a nice weight of only around 1.2 pounds, this durable tripod can withstand a weight of up to 6.6 pounds, able to accommodate most of my cameras. This tripod also comes with foot grips that are rubberized and shaped into a ball which spreads out the pressure rather effectively. The wrappable legs also do an exceptional job of supporting the weight and providing nice, even stability on most surfaces, smooth or rugged.
360 Degree Panning
An awesome perk of the JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle is its ability to allow me to capture unique and crisp perspective shots that I might otherwise not be able to achieve. This travel tripod comes with a GorillaPod SLR Zoom Tripod and Ballhead Mount X Bundle that allows me to easily maneuver my camera into a number of diverse angles, 360 degrees around. This helps tremendously with panoramas but is great in general for just finding the perfect angle for each individual shot to ensure that the work I am producing is unique to only me and to my particular style of photography. This tripod is definitely the best travel tripod for capturing unique shots.
Exceptional Stability and Grounding
As mentioned previously, the JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle is incredibly stable. It is easy to find my ground with its impressive amount of leg joints that amount to over two dozen unique configurations, alongside the remarkable German TPE joints. Never have I once had a shaky, blurry shot while using the JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle. It secures my equipment tightly and fastens on in such a way that I don’t have to worry about it accidentally coming loose.
Simple to Set Up on the Fly
Because it is so straightforward and easy to use, setting up and then deconstructing the JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle is a dream.
Unfolding the legs is nearly instantaneous, and it has a quick release plate that stays connected to my camera which is unique and lets me interchange with ease. The tripod mount even has a 3/8 inch adapter to ensure all of my gear fits snugly. This makes it simple to pop up wherever I want to go, get my work done and then waste no time at all packing it back up so that I can move on to my next gig or point of interest.
Built to Last
Finally, the composition of the JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle is impeccable. It is made out of sturdy, medical grade Japanese ABS plastic combined with stainless steel reinforcement. It can withstand general wear from everyday photography in a controlled environment and even outlast wear from taking it out into nature with me. The JOBY GorillaPod is truly an exceptional tripod and perhaps the best travel tripod in terms of rugged durability and stability.
- 3/8 inch-adapter
- 360-degree panning
- Can handle any terrain
- German TPE joints
- Made from stainless steel and medical grade Japanese ABS plastic
- Over 2 dozen joints in the legs
- Rubberized, ball shaped foot grips
- Super durable; perfect for indoor or outdoor usage
- Ultra stable
- Support weight. The JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle may be off putting to some simply because it does not support an excessive amount of weight. I don’t mind it considering most of my gear weighs under the weight limit of 6.6 pounds. I can’t beat the price, and for its unique features that come included such as the innovative 360 degree panning, I think that this travel tripod is certainly worth every penny.
ZOMEi Z818 Hiking Tripod
Top Features of the ZOMEi Z818 Hiking Tripod
Simple to Carry Anywhere
The best part of any travel tripod has got to be its portability. After all, I need to take my gear to wherever my muse calls me, so having something that is easy to tote around is imperative to its quality to me. The ZOMEi Z818 Hiking Tripod seems to have taken that into consideration! This travel tripod features the ability to be inverted smoothly, folding back an impressive 180 degrees. This saves me plenty of space when I need to pack it into my car or store it away in my home when I am not using it, and it makes it excellent for travel when I am hiking and do not need something bulky and weighty to hold me down and make my trip up to the perfect shot harder than it needs to be.
Not only is the ZOMEi Z818 Hiking Tripod a stable and compact tripod, it is actually one that can be used in two different ways. Alongside its tripod functionality, I can use the ZOMEi Z818 Hiking Tripod as a monopod with great ease. To turn it into a full sized monopod, all that I have to do first is to simply remove the unscrew able center column. From there, I just have to screw this center column onto the tripod leg. Simple as that. This really assists me in getting more unique and versatile shots from a number of different heights and angles that I might not be able to achieve with a tripod alone.
Ultra Stable Construction
The ZOMEi Z818 Hiking Tripod features a column hook for balancing the weight and giving me increased stability on top of the stability that is alreay afforded to me. The ZOMEi Z818 Hiking Tripod also comes with an individual head tension and lock knob along with a pan lock so I can capture the perfect shot every time, no matter the angle I want to shoot at.
Simple to Set Up
When I arrive at my destination, the ZOMEi Z818 Hiking Tripod lets me position its three legs in a number of different positions to provide the most versatility possible. This lets me shoot in more cramped areas than I normally would be able to and it is especially useful on irregular surfaces like uneven soil or upon a hill. The legs rotate and can be locked into four different leg sections that are able to glide in and out easily. This gives me a nice range of height that varies between 18 inches to a whopping 65 inches. It also features a quick-release mounting plate that releases with a button push to remove my camera to achieve mobility.
The ZOMEi Z818 Hiking Tripod is also composed of an anti-corrosion, anodic oxidation processed magnesium and aluminum alloy tube that makes it perfect for any sort of photography as it is so easy to move about. I can take it with me on casual endeavors like family reunions or out into the wilderness for nature shots just as easily.
- 2-in-1 function turns into a monopod simply
- Can handle any terrain
- Easy set up
- Folds back 180 degrees
- Head tension knob
- Lock knob
- Lockable into four separate sections
- Made with a durable anti-corrosion, anodic oxidation processed magnesium and aluminum alloy tube
- Pan lock
- Perfect for compact areas
- Rotating locking legs
- Ultra lightweight
- Works with any terrain
- Sand usage. I have noticed that when I take the ZOMEi Z818 Hiking Tripod onto any sandy area like a beach or the shores of a lake or river, sand likes to get stuck inside of the feet. This is not much of a problem for me, as laying down an old, thin sheet when I shoot has solved this problem completely. I am no stranger to using accessories like this when I take photos in unique locations, so this is absolutely not an issue to me and it certainly should not be for any potential buyer considering the array of features that it presents.
MeFOTO Aluminum Roadtrip Travel Tripod/Monopod Kit
Top Features of the MeFOTO Aluminum Roadtrip Travel Tripod/Monopod Kit
I love to take panorama shots, so having a tripod that I can travel with that allows me to do just that is an important part of my decision to purchase one. The MeFOTO Aluminum Roadtrip Travel Tripod/Monopod Kit features a smoothly maneuvering panning scale that is graduated. It provides an ultra smooth, non-choppy motion that allows me to take in as much light as possible at once with perfect results every time. This also means that I do not have to situate the legs of the MeFOTO Aluminum Roadtrip Travel Tripod/Monopod Kit every time that I want to access a new angle or simply take a shot that is to the right or left of me; I just turn the panning scale to the correct angle and shoot. This is perhaps the best travel tripod in terms of versatility.
Flexible and Versatile
Another great aspect of the MeFOTO Aluminum Roadtrip Travel Tripod/Monopod Kit is its versatility overall. The legs of this tripod are able to be locked into place independently and in two different angles entirely. Not only does this allow for unique shots in general, it gives me the mobility to take pictures in tight, cramped areas that other, more bulky and rigid tripods simply will not allow. This also allows me to shoot on irregular surfaces such as a gravelly, dirt road, on the incline of a hill or on uneven patches of soil and grass. I can also shoot entirely at ground level–the shot is totally in my control with this incredibly diverse travel tripod.
The MeFOTO Aluminum Roadtrip Travel Tripod/Monopod Kit is also incredibly stable and has never given me a shaky shot. It does not wobble in the slightest once I have grounded it. Another point of interest is the fact that this tripod comes with a spring-loaded, recessed hook that can be found in the bottom of the tripod’s center column. This hook allows me to hang extra weight on it which in turn helps stabilize the tripod’s center of gravity, giving me even more stability that before. The MeFOTO Aluminum Roadtrip Travel Tripod/Monopod Kit also comes with a separate head and pan lock that allows me to adjust both the head tension and the lock knob individually. The included pan lock also comes in handy with securing the perfect angle for each individual photograph that I take.
I want to touch on the unique features and parts that come included with the MeFOTO Aluminum Roadtrip Travel Tripod/Monopod Kit briefly as well. It has a precision matched Q Series ball head that is heavy duty and dual action with its Arca-Swiss style quick release plate. A bubble level is included for even pans and perfect movements of the head. The tripod legs themselves can even be folded and inverted up to 180 degrees, making this tripod incredibly portable.
Perfect Height Adjustments
Finally, the MeFOTO Aluminum Roadtrip Travel Tripod/Monopod Kit comes with five leg sections that allow me to get the perfect height, no matter what. When I find that height, the twist locking legs and unique anti-rotation system ensures that these rubberized grips lock the legs quickly and easily to let me get set up quickly. These legs are also resistant to both weather and rust, perfect for when I want to take nature shots.
- 360 panorama
- Adjustable height
- Bubble level and Q-Series ball head included
- Compact; can fold back 180 degrees
- Locking, rubberized legs
- Perfect for any terrain
- Quick release functionality
- Recessed, spring loaded hook
- Price. The MeFOTO Aluminum Roadtrip Travel Tripod/Monopod Kit is one of the more expensive options on this list, but it comes with so many unique features that it makes it totally worth it. The fact that it is weather and rust resistant and so compact and simple to carry really makes it the best travel tripod for the money.
AmazonBasics 50-Inch Lightweight Tripod
Top Features of the AmazonBasics 50-Inch Lightweight Tripod
Adjustable and Lightweight
The AmazonBasics 50-Inch Lightweight Tripod is made of an ultra durable aluminium. Even though the build is strong and sturdy, it does not sacrifice its durability for its portability. The aluminium used weighs barely over a pound, making it simple to tote around with me no matter what sort of area I will be shooting in, but this is especially useful for when I must hike to a certain spot in order to get the perfect photo. It doesn’t weight me down at all and even comes in a handy zippered bag that lets me tote it around effortlessly. To get the AmazonBasics 50-Inch Lightweight Tripod into its bag, all I have to do is engage its collapsible design. The handle itself pivots downward and the legs contract so that everything can fold into itself to create a compact tripod.
Speaking of the build of the tripod, the AmazonBasics 50-Inch Lightweight Tripod also accommodates any unique way of positioning that I place it into. This tripod has lever-lock legs that each has three individual extendable sections. I can adjust the leg height of each leg on its own to achieve custom positioning to help me get into small spaces, and when I need it to raise all the way up, the legs extend to lift the AmazonBasics 50-Inch Lightweight Tripod to a nice 50 inches. Whatever I choose, I can lock the legs into place with the levels and unlock them just as easily to choose the perfect height. The rubberized feet help to promise stability on any sort of terrain and incline, and it has a gear-less center post that makes moving the tripod one of the easiest things I have ever done.
Unique Camera Angles
The AmazonBasics 50-Inch Lightweight Tripod also features a three-way pivoting head that affords me the utmost versatility in my shots. Employing its tilt-and-swivel motion, I can quite simply adjust the orientation of the camera depending on how I need it; I can switch from landscape to portrait and back again in no time at all, capturing the perfect shot every time. This also affords me the option of getting virtually every angle possible with this convenient tilting motion. Once I find the position and angle that I am satisfied with, I can engage the knobs to secure it into place. The diversity of the AmazonBasics 50-Inch Lightweight Tripod also allows me to take full panoramic shots due to its 360-degree swiveling!
Quick Release Functionality
Another great feature of the AmazonBasics 50-Inch Lightweight Tripod is the quick release plate. This is a really thoughtful addition to the tripod as it enables swift transitions between different shots. The mounting plate also ensures an easy collapse of the tripod itself, helping me quickly move it from location to location to enable me to get the right photo exactly when I want to get it.
Finally, I want to let you all know about the size of the AmazonBasics 50-Inch Lightweight Tripod. When collapsed and ready to fit into the zippered bag, it measures a beautiful 16.5 inches. And, as stated, this can be extended to an equally as nice 50 inches for a broad range of adjustability.
- 360-degree panorama action
- Customizable legs
- Features collapsible legs and a downward pivoting handle for easy disassembly
- Great on any terrain
- Includes a zippered carrying case for easy transport
- Measures 16.5 inches when fully collapsed and 50 inches at its tallest height
- Quick-release plate
- Tilt-swivel positioning
- Ultra inexpensive
- Weighs just over one pound
- Weight. Some online reviewers of the AmazonBasics 50-Inch Lightweight Tripod stated that they felt the tripod was too lightweight, but I think that the weight of a tripod is what makes for an excellent one. I love the lightweight design as it is still durable and reliable, so I really don’t think this is much of a downside at all.
I have decided upon the Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head as the winner of this roundup for a number of reasons. First, it includes all of the accessories that ensure a proper shot, including a ball head, rubber feet, a quick-release mechanism and a bubble level. It rises to an impressive 62 inches and can support the weight of gear weighing up to 13.2 pounds! It is durable and can withstand any sort of terrain, allowing me to recommend this product especially to those who take their tripods out into the wild.
Benefits of Buying a Travel Tripod
– Built for most terrains. Because travel tripods are intended for use both indoor and outdoor, they are often equipped to handle any sort of flooring. From sleek wooden floors in wedding halls to mossy, gravelly, uneven paths in the forest on a hike up a mountain, travel tripods can find their stability and center of gravity just about anywhere.
– Portability and flexibility. When making a trek up mountains or taking a tripod on a flight with you, portability is important. A good travel tripod will be able to fold up into itself and will often be lightweight to ensure easy carrying from location to location.
– Can withstand wear and tear. Meant to be taken out into the wild when the mood strikes, travel tripods are usually built to withstand different types of weather and will not wear down when exposed to dirt and the elements.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Travel Tripod
– Panorama capabilities. Many photographers enjoy taking panorama shots, but a tripod with a full, 360-degree swivel also offers more simplicity of setting up shots. The swivel design helps in the sense that one does not always need to be moving the tripod around to face certain directions, making it a really handy investment for those who like to take unique shots.
– Adjustable height. By getting yourself a travel tripod with great range of height adjustability, you can be sure that photos can be taken in cramped spaces as well as airy ones that require a little extra height in order to capture the perfect shot. The ultimate versatility can be yours with attention to this significant detail.
– Ability to use as a monopod. By getting a 2-in-1 tripod, you can turn the tripod into a monopod for use in appropriate situations without needing to purchase two separate units to achieve the same results.
Tips on How to Choose the Best Travel Tripod for Your Needs
– Look for a travel tripod that comes with a carrying bag for more convenient toting to and from gigs.
– Consider a tripod that is both lightweight and made from long-lasting, durable materials.
– Check out some reviews of travel tripods online to judge what the best one might be for you based off of real user experiences.