Shredders have grown with time as identity fraud has become a larger issue that plagues society. Making sure you dispose of your documents through a shredder can save you a ton of time and hassle that you would have to deal with had you not shredded your documents.
At Delicious we provide the paper shredder reviews and information to help you find the best paper shredder suited to your needs. All of our reviews are unbiased as we do not work with any company that manufactures or develops paper shredders.
|AmazonBasics 12 Sheet||Best Available Shredder And Our Most Recommended. Best Value For Money On The Market.||Check Price|
|Fellowes Powershred 79Ci 3227901||Similar To The 12 Sheets By AmazonBasics, Second Place Award Winner.||Check Price|
|Fellowes Powershred 99Ci 3229901||Pricier Version Of The 79Ci,||Check Price|
Best Paper Shredder
AmazonBasics 12 Sheet Paper Shredder
Our most recommended shredder is the AmazonBasics 12-Sheet Shredder. It can handle 12 pages per pass, which is way above the normal grade that most shredders can handle. The AmazonBasics shredder can handle a speed of 6 feet per minute, being exceptionally fast we can only say good things about this machinery. It shreds paper into tiny pieces 5/32 by 15/32 inches, so that all the information associated with the paper is unreadable. Able to function for 8 consecutive minutes, the AmazonBasics shredder can handle almost 48 feet of paper and I don’t think it’s possible to own so much paper that requires shredding. Alongside the paper shredding, you can also utilize it to take care of CDs and credit cards. The AmazonBasics 12-Sheet High Security Shredder heightens protection from identity theft with its micro-cut type shredding, this security level 4 rated shredding machine works great at disposing of highly confidential, top-secret information files. But even with its cutting-edge prowess, this model works with very low noise level.
Showcasing a compact design, this Amazon Basics Shredder can easily be introduced into the any home office set-up. For ease and convenience, the pull-out basket with a bin capacity of 6.7 gallon has caster wheels. In case the sheets or other materials being cut are stuck, these jams can be cleared with manual reverse. This model also comes with overload protection. Buying an AmazonBasics shredder come with a 1-Year Limited Warranty.
Fellowes Powershred 79Ci 3227901 Paper Shredder
Another best-seller from the industry’s top brand is the Fellowes 3227901 PowerShred 79Ci 14 Sheet Cross-Cut Paper Shredder. However, unlike the PowerShred 99Ci that can accommodate upto 3 users, the PowerShred 79Ci is solely for personal use. The hundreds of reviews you can find online unanimously recommend this model which is recognized by many as one of the best single-use home paper shredder. Designed for desk-side use, the ultra-quiet shredder performance makes it a good choice whether for your home or in shared workspaces. The 6 gallon pull-out bin is a sufficient trash space for single use. Though the Fellowes 3227901 has a lower paper capacity of 14 papers per pass, this model is just as versatile as professional-use models that can shred anything from documents to staples and paper clips that may come with them, junk mail, credit cards, and CDs or DVDs.
As an added safety feature, SafeSense minimizes the risk of accidents by automatically stopping machine operation whenever hands touch the paper openings. With the 100% Jam Proof System, paper jamming will be a thing of the past. Duty cycle runs up to 12 minutes of continuous use. This features an Energy Savings System and comes with the same 2-year product and service warranty plus lifetime on cutters.
Fellowes Powershred 99Ci 3229901 Paper Shredder
The Fellowes 3229901 boasts of superior quality and innovation including shared technologies like Advanced 100% Jam Prevention, patented SafeSense feature, and ultra-quiet first-rate performance. With this model, you won’t have to worry about ever coming across a paper jam. The SafeSense feature is high-tech electronic safety sensor that disables the equipment when hands touch any part of the paper entry.
The PowerShred 99Ci is ideal for home or small business use and can accommodate from 1-3 users efficiently. With a powerful motor and cutting-edge product engineering, the Fellowes 3229901 PowerShred 99Ci 17 Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder toughs through reducing up to 17 sheets in one pass, credit cards, CD/DVDs, staples, paper clips, and even junk mail into hundreds of particles. Run time lasts up to 25 minutes of uninterrupted use. The 9 gallon pull-put bin makes trash disposal simple and convenient. When purchased, buyers can take advantage of its 2-year product and service warranty plus lifetime warranty on cutters.
The Benefits of Having and Using Your Own Paper Shredder
Personal Information Protection – First and foremost, having your very own Paper/CD/Credit Card Shredder protects your privacy and reduces the risk of identity thieves stealing confidential documents and using them against you. Even if you do not own a home business, shredding at home is still a must. There are many potential papers that can be used in identity theft crimes. Make sure to shred and properly discard of credit card bills, solicited pre-approved credit card applications, ATM receipts, bank statements, voided checks, expired licenses, old legal documents, and anything (credit card, CDs, DVDs) that may have your Social Security number printed or other essential personal data stored in it.
Home Paper Shredding vs. Hiring Residential Shredding Services – some may argue that such companies have the needed equipment to do the job in minutes. However, such services will require you to commute and take your documents to them and wait until the shredding is completed. Having your own paper shredding machine at the comforts of your home saves you from the commute and saves you more money in the long run. Also, companies do not go through your documents before disposing of them. By doing the job yourself, you are given the chance to double check and go through the files, in case you included documents that should not have been in the trash bin.
Business or Professional Advantage – aside from making your small business or home-based profession compliant with state and federal regulations on proper handling and disposal of personal information, shredding at home also creates an unspoken bond between you and your clients or customers. If you are working or operating a business at home, you will gain the trust of your customer or client-base by letting them know that you value their privacy too.
Environmental Impact – document shredding is not only an efficient way to take care of trash but is also an emotionally-rewarding practice that allows us to participate in saving Mother Nature, in our own simple way. In its bits and pieces form, paper trash can easily be reused and recycled cutting down on the waste thrown into landfills as well as the destruction of more virgin forests.
How To Choose The Best Shredder
In response to the growing need for protection from identity thieves, more and more business machines are being introduced to the market. The increased risk throughout the years has led to more and more people preferring to use shredders in the privacy of their homes. To select the best shredder, it is crucial to understand the options available to make an educated, best-value purchase.
1. Security Levels – when it comes to security, shredding machines are categorized into security levels where the higher the level, the more reduced the end products will be in terms of size. The security levels specified in different paper shredders are based on DIN 32757 standards (established by Deutsches Institut für Normung that translates to the German Institute for Standardization in English), as well as the federal government of the United States. Your choice of security should also depend on the confidentiality of the materials to be disposed of.
- Level 1: Strip Cut – offers the most basic security measure. Documents are cut lengthwise into 7/32” strips. This option provides shredding results that can offer poor information protection.
- Level 2: Cross Cut – provides better security than level 1. With a standard cut size of 5/32” x 2”, shredding results to 300 particles out of a standard 8 ½” x 11” sheet of paper. With a cross cut shredder, any file would become extremely difficult to piece together and read.
- Level 3: Micro Cut – ideal for shredding documents at home and small offices, as recommended by experts including New York Times technology writer Sam Grobart. With a standard cut size of 5/64”x5/16”, a micro shredder can turn a sheet of paper into over 3,700 particles.
- Level 4: High Security (Companies)– is government approved and designed for disposing of confidential documents essential to the foundation and existence of a Company. With a 1/32” x 3/16” cut size, a 8 ½” x 11” sheet of paper can easily be reduced into 15,000 bits and pieces.
- Level 5: High Security (Government and Research)—with cross cut shred dimensions of 1/32 x 7/16”, this level of security works best for dealing with the destruction of secret documents within government offices as well those containing information on important researches.
- Level 6 – this level offers the highest, most secure protection and is often used in high security eradication of top secret files. With cross cut shred dimensions of 1/32 x 3/16”, paper shredders with this specification is at the top level of security ratings used in the U.S. ranging from 1 to 6.
2. Equipment Performance – When shopping for the right paper shredder for your small office or home needs, there are three crucial performance factors to consider – size and sheet capacity, machine speed, run time, and versatility. The compactness and size of the equipment and how much documents it can handle at a time will depend on how many people will be using the shredder and where it will be placed. Run times refer to the length of time that the machine can operate continuously before needing to cool down. The run time or duty cycle should be based on how long the shredder will be used each day. Machine Speed is the pace with which paper shredders can shred a paper bundle entirely, a specification measured in feet per minute. And lastly, it is essential to look for a shredder that can accommodate all your additional needs. There are shredders specifically manufactured to shred other materials than paper like CDs or DVDs, and even credit cards.
3. More Features – not all shredders are created equal and one factor that sets them apart from another is the set of additional features they have. Beyond the primary technical specifications mentioned above, these features should also be considered:
Jam Proof – the #1 frustration that shredder users experience when shredding documents is paper jams. To address this, look for technologies that can easily reverse if not totally prevent such problems. Anti-jam technologies not only prevents paper jamming and save users from all the inconvenience that such incidence brings, but also ensures a smooth workflow for a faster and more efficient completion of the job.
Ultra Quiet Shredding – for optimal shredding experience, looking for sound minimizing technologies make sense.
Energy Efficient – for more and more professionals and small businesses, energy efficiency has become a must when buying machines and equipment. An energy efficient shredder increases productivity within your home, and sustainability within the community. Energy consumption savings will also equate to monetary savings in the long run.
Safety feature – working with a shredder can become dangerous in the presence of little kids and even danger – prone adults who mindlessly go about their jobs. Built-in safety features can help promote safety even when working with equipment that are meant to destroy documents. These features come in many shapes and forms from specially designed safety covers to something more technologically advanced like sensors that detect hands touching the opening and automatically shut the machine off.
Why You Should Shred Documents
According to a survey conducted by the FTC or Federal Trade Commission, 2016 recorded that a total of 3.7% of the adult population fell victim to identity theft. This equates to a staggering figure of an estimated 8.3 million American consumers, in various states.
Identity theft is among the fastest growing crimes that America faces. Did you know that victims reported that 88% of the personal information collected was stolen from the dumpster? Beyond all the trash, your garbage can be a chock-full of important papers that may reflect some of your most personal information. Dumpster diving thieves can collect pre-approved credit card offers and bills where complete home address, telephone number, email address, bank account information, social security number, employment history and other information can be extracted.
With information becoming a highly valued commodity, the increasing importance of document and credit card shredding has become more prevalent. But aside from making it next to impossible for dumpster divers to plunder and potentially use your information, there are more reasons to get your own paper shredder. Your shredder can be your partner in efficiently clearing up the clutter in your home office and entire home, boosting productivity and creativity. It is also a must to comply with document destruction legislation.
Basically, your small business and home should make it a practice to shred documents to safely dispose of credit card and confidential printed data, as well as prevent identity theft. Your business does not have to be a health institution or a financial company, taking responsibility for managing the proper disposal of confidential documents takes your business and personal life at a higher level with optimal privacy protection.