Shredders have grown with time as identity fraud has become a larger issue that plagues society. Making sure you dispose of your documents through a shredder can save you a ton of time and hassle that you would have to deal with had you not shredded your documents.
At Delicious we provide the paper shredder reviews and information to help you find the best paper shredder suited to your needs. All of our reviews are unbiased as we do not work with any company that manufactures or develops paper shredders.
|Amazon Basics 12-Sheet Micro Cut Cutter||Best paper shredder, Special slots used to shred credit cards and CDs, Can Shred up to 12 sheets, Compact size which is great for tight spaces, It can shred small paper clips and staples||Check Price On Amazon|
|Fellowes Powershred 99Ci Cross Cut Shredder||SafeSense Technology has prevented multiple hand injuries and accidents from occurring, Easy to clean and maintain, LED indicator which notifies users when to empty the bin||Check Price On Amazon|
|Fellowes Powershred 79Ci Medium Shredder||Easy to use for most document shredding tasks, Low sounding noise, Shredding Capacity of 16 Sheets, Cuts through 140 Sheets a minute||Check Price On Amazon|
|Amazon Basics 6-Sheet Cross Cut Shredder||Affordability, Cuts documents into unreadable strips, 8.2 Pounds, making it lightweight for most home offices, Limited one year warranty||Check Price On Amazon|
Best Paper Shredder
Amazon Basics 12-Sheet Micro Cut Cutter
Need a reliable shredder for your home office? The Amazon Basics 12-Sheet Micro Cut Cutter is known not only for its powerful shredding ability but also its high capacity for a multitude of papers. You should get this if you want a high-quality cutter to handle all of your daily office duties.
The Amazon Basics 12-Sheet Micro Cut Cutter is a cross-cut shredder that’s a great addition to anyone’s home office. This model has a DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung or German Institution for Standardization) P-3 security level. The “P” stands for its ability to cut through paper, printing plates, and films.
To meet the P-3 standards, a machine has to fit one of the following requirements:
- Have a width that’s ≤ 2 mm regardless of width.
- Have a surface area that’s ≤ 320 mm² ( 0.49600099 in²) regardless of length.
While the 12-Sheet Card cutter has a larger width than 2mm, it still passes the surface area test by having an area of 0.4716796875 in². Thus, meaning that it does pass the P-3 safety standards.
Don’t let the figures above confuse you! It simply means that the Amazon Basics 12-Sheet Micro Cut Cutter can dispose of important documents that contain personal data without the fear of identity theft.
One thing that sets this device apart from the competition is its increased shredding capacity. It’s able to cut through cut through 12 pieces of 20lb paper in one pass. However, its speed will slow down when you’re trying to cut through its maximum capacity.
It’s possible to shred through the upper limit occassionally. As a rule of thumb, if the device is unable to handle the volume of papers you need to shred at 70% of its capacity, then you should consider getting another paper shredder.
For this model, we expect that it can cut through 8-9 sheets of paper in one pass. This is a great load size and is able to meet most home office and personal requirements.
The Amazon Basics 12-Sheet Micro Cut Cutter has a 5/30 duty cycle. This means that the machine can run at full capacity for 5 minutes before needing a 30-minute cooldown. That’s what the product states in its specs, but when users tried in action, they received different results.
In practice, many consumers stated that the machine operated past 5 minutes without experiencing any forced shutdown. One consumer stated that the machine could run for 45 minutes without noticing any issues. In fact, one clocked in 2 hours of the shredder in operation before needing to be on cool down.
This means that the Amazon Basics 12-Sheet Micro Cut Cutter delivers an outstanding performance. Not only can it cut through multiple sheets of paper with ease, but it has a longer running operation that competing devices.
- Special slots used to shred credit cards and CDs
- Can Shred up to 12 sheets
- Compact size which is great for tight spaces
- It can shred small paper clips and staples
- Multiple safety features making it both pet and child safe.
- Loud noise when shredding
- Warning signs are inaccurate and triggers often
- Heavy due to heavy shredding disposal
Fellowes Powershred 99Ci Cross Cut Shredder
As your business continues to develop, there are multiple documents that you need to shred to protect your company’s integrity. Fortunately, the Fellowes Powershred 99Ci Cross Cut Shredder comes equipped with these capabilities due to its anti-paper jam system.
Paper jams is a minor annoyance but is the biggest enemy of any office shredder. Because of this fact, Fellowes designed this device to have a high-tech paper jam prevention technology. When in operation, it eliminates the possibility of paper jams occurring.
It does this based on its three levels:
- A sensor measures the paper for its width and thickness once inserted.
- A strong operation that ensures that all papers are cut.
- A light bar that indicates how much paper is inserted.
Safe Sense Technology
The 99Ci’s most innovative feature is its safe sense technology. This protects users from getting their hands stuck inside the slot feed. It works by having a sensor detect when your hands are near the shredder.
Once your hands get too close, it automatically turns off the device. Thus, making it one of the most safest cross-cut shredders on the market.
On average, the Fellowes 99Ci Cross Cut Shredder can cut up to 180 pages a minute. It’s faster than competing products which can only cut through 72 pages a minute. Bottom line, if you have a large document that’s in the triple digits, then this is the right machine for you.
Ease of Use
Overall, this device is user-friendly. For instance, it has a drawer-style bin that’s easy to empty. And it has a 9-gallon capacity, which is larger than any other shredder that we’ve tested. As a result, emptying the bin is less of a chore and takes only a few minutes to implement.
Additionally, it has a plastic guard which prevents shreds from flying out of the machine’s slot. It has wheels which allow you to maneuver it through the office with ease. If you do accidentally jam the blades, it has a reverse feature which helps brings the bin back to its normal state.
And it has lights that indicate if the blades are about to overheat or the machine is at its full capacity. This saves users from overfilling the bin and preventing a paper avalanche when you try to empty it.
We suggest that you only use the Fellowes 99Ci Cross Cut Shredder on flat surfaces. While its wheels are good for short distances, you’ll find it almost impossible to carry it through a flight of stairs.
Still, its one of the most powerful paper shredders on the market. It has a faster cutting speed, quality, and operates without causing too much noise in your office. Look into the Fellowes Powershred 99Ci Cross Cut Shredder when you want a fully functional shredder that makes your document removal process easier.
- SafeSense Technology has prevented multiple hand injuries and accidents from occurring
- Easy to clean and maintain
- LED indicator which notifies users when to empty the bin
- Silent operation
- Fast cutting speed for larger documents
- Long cool down time of 40 minutes
- Jam-proof technology doesn’t always work
Fellowes Powershred 79Ci Medium Shredder
It doesn’t matter if you’re running a home or professional office. You’ll need a shredder to help you with your paper shredding tasks. The Fellowes Powershred 79Ci Medium Shredder is fast and easy to use.
This machine can cut through plastic cards and cut paper into small shreds where it’s acceptable for more documents. While it doesn’t look flashy, the shredder is effective at getting the job done and is priced well for its abilities.
The 79Ci has a maximum speed of 10 feet per minute, which is an average speed for office document shredders. Also, it can shred for 20 minutes before needing a 30-minute cooldown. As a result, users can cut through multiple pieces of paper without having to worry about it overheating.
While it’s advertised as a jam proof shredder, it doesn’t always live up to that claim. For example, Fellowes states that the machine can cut up to 16 pieces of paper at a time. When we tried placing in 16 pages of paper, the shredder started to jam.
To avoid this, we suggest that you watch for the device’s warning lights to prevent this issue from occurring.
Features and Design
The Fellowes Powershred 79Ci has a dimension size of 21.3 x 15.4 x 10.4 inches. Additionally, it weighs about 33 pounds which is average for most home offices. The shredder’s weight is at the top of the lid, meaning that you might have to use two people to carry it around.
Also, the machine has a 16 paper shredding capacity which is more than its competitors who can only hold 12 sheets. It has a higher endurance rating, chop paper into smaller pieces, and can shred twice the material without breaking.
On the upper right-hand section of the feed slot, it displays multiple physical controls to help utilize the device: a start button, reverse and forward buttons (these buttons are represented by front facing and backward facing arrow icons).
Like most office shredders, this machine works by placing the paper inside of the feed slot. The shredder grabs the paper and places it inside. But, if you try to place too many sheets inside of it, you might notice a red warning light flashing. If the light flashes yellow, stop shredding immediately to prevent any further issues.
Compared to other office shredders, the Fellowes Powershred Medium Shredder is quiet and doesn’t emit loud noises when it’s in operation. It has the lowest pitched noise that was the most consistent out of the devices we tested.
If you do hear any noise from the device, it can be easily tuned out. And due to its fast cutting speed, you don’t have to worry about hearing the noise for too long.
- Easy to use for most document shredding tasks
- Low sounding noise
- Shredding Capacity of 16 Sheets
- Cuts through 140 Sheets a minute
- Performs well on small and medium-sized papers
- Mediocre Shredding Quality
Amazon Basics 6-Sheet Cross Cut Shredder
If you need a simple cross cut shredder in your office, the Amazon Basics 6-Sheet Cross Cut Shredder is one of the best options available. It’s compact, fast, and can run through multiple small documents in a single pass.
Thus, it helps protect your legal documents from the hands of identity thieves and other threats to your business.
It’s designed for small offices and can work for 2 minutes before needing a 30-minute cooldown. It has a capacity of 3.8 gallons which means users can empty the bin more frequently.
And it protects users identity when it’s in operation. Since it can cut through ATM receipts, large tax documents, bank mails, mortgage statements, and insurance, this machine to bridge the gap between performance and price.
This cross shredder is designed to cut papers and office diagonally into small pieces. This gives you the ability to cut through important financial receipts and bills and high-security documents into unreadable strips.
Due to its 6 sheet capacity, it’s great for personal and home office use. Users like this machine because it can shred through small documents without the fear of it jamming.
Safety features are one of the main things consumers consider when getting their first paper shredder. The Amazon Basics 6-Sheet Cross Cut Shredder has a safety switch which is located on the back of the body of the machine.
It’s programmed to perform only when the paper goes through the machine. This means that the device protects your fingers from getting removed if you accidentally place them near the feeder.
Enhanced Waste System
Shredded pieces are easily disposed of when using a cross cut shredder. This is because the strips are compressed together and smaller. That’s what gives the Amazon Basics 6-Sheet Shredder an advantage over strip cut models.
Unlike other shredding machines, this device is capable of compressing and mixing the waste strips for easy disposal. You can use the reverse feature to prevent the materials from clogging up the bin. If your paper exceeds capacity, you should use this feature to help the shredder operate properly.
This device contains smart technologies such as auto stop, automatic start, manual reverse, and a safety interlock option. With so many smart features available, the cross cut shredder can restart on its own if the motor starts to overheat.
Shredding Speed & Quality
Since it’s a small shredder, it has a shredding speed of 42 papers a minute. While you certainly don’t want to shred large documents, its fast and is efficient when cutting smaller pieces of paper down to size.
Consumers were unhappy with the device’s ability to cut through thicker pieces of paper. To fix this, open the envelope and unfold the contents inside of it before running it through the feeder. It’s unable to cut through CDs, but it can cut through credit cards with no problem.
- Cuts documents into unreadable strips
- 8.2 Pounds, making it lightweight for most home offices
- Limited one year warranty
- 8.7 inch paper slot that prevents fingers from getting stuck in the machine
- Slower when going through more than 6 sheets of paper
- You’ll need oil to repair the knives
- Noisy during operation
The Benefits of Having and Using Your Own Paper Shredder
Personal Information Protection – First and foremost, having your very own Paper/CD/Credit Card Shredder protects your privacy and reduces the risk of identity thieves stealing confidential documents and using them against you. Even if you do not own a home business, shredding at home is still a must. There are many potential papers that can be used in identity theft crimes. Make sure to shred and properly discard of credit card bills, solicited pre-approved credit card applications, ATM receipts, bank statements, voided checks, expired licenses, old legal documents, and anything (credit card, CDs, DVDs) that may have your Social Security number printed or other essential personal data stored in it.
Home Paper Shredding vs. Hiring Residential Shredding Services – some may argue that such companies have the needed equipment to do the job in minutes. However, such services will require you to commute and take your documents to them and wait until the shredding is completed. Having your own paper shredding machine at the comforts of your home saves you from the commute and saves you more money in the long run. Also, companies do not go through your documents before disposing of them. By doing the job yourself, you are given the chance to double check and go through the files, in case you included documents that should not have been in the trash bin.
Business or Professional Advantage – aside from making your small business or home-based profession compliant with state and federal regulations on proper handling and disposal of personal information, shredding at home also creates an unspoken bond between you and your clients or customers. If you are working or operating a business at home, you will gain the trust of your customer or client-base by letting them know that you value their privacy too.
Environmental Impact – document shredding is not only an efficient way to take care of trash but is also an emotionally-rewarding practice that allows us to participate in saving Mother Nature, in our own simple way. In its bits and pieces form, paper trash can easily be reused and recycled cutting down on the waste thrown into landfills as well as the destruction of more virgin forests.
How To Choose The Best Shredder
In response to the growing need for protection from identity thieves, more and more business machines are being introduced to the market. The increased risk throughout the years has led to more and more people preferring to use shredders in the privacy of their homes. To select the best shredder, it is crucial to understand the options available to make an educated, best-value purchase.
1. Security Levels – when it comes to security, shredding machines are categorized into security levels where the higher the level, the more reduced the end products will be in terms of size. The security levels specified in different paper shredders are based on DIN 32757 standards (established by Deutsches Institut für Normung that translates to the German Institute for Standardization in English), as well as the federal government of the United States. Your choice of security should also depend on the confidentiality of the materials to be disposed of.
- Level 1: Strip Cut – offers the most basic security measure. Documents are cut lengthwise into 7/32” strips. This option provides shredding results that can offer poor information protection.
- Level 2: Cross Cut – provides better security than level 1. With a standard cut size of 5/32” x 2”, shredding results to 300 particles out of a standard 8 ½” x 11” sheet of paper. With a cross cut shredder, any file would become extremely difficult to piece together and read.
- Level 3: Micro Cut – ideal for shredding documents at home and small offices, as recommended by experts including New York Times technology writer Sam Grobart. With a standard cut size of 5/64”x5/16”, a micro shredder can turn a sheet of paper into over 3,700 particles.
- Level 4: High Security (Companies)– is government approved and designed for disposing of confidential documents essential to the foundation and existence of a Company. With a 1/32” x 3/16” cut size, a 8 ½” x 11” sheet of paper can easily be reduced into 15,000 bits and pieces.
- Level 5: High Security (Government and Research)—with cross cut shred dimensions of 1/32 x 7/16”, this level of security works best for dealing with the destruction of secret documents within government offices as well those containing information on important researches.
- Level 6 – this level offers the highest, most secure protection and is often used in high security eradication of top secret files. With cross cut shred dimensions of 1/32 x 3/16”, paper shredders with this specification is at the top level of security ratings used in the U.S. ranging from 1 to 6.
2. Equipment Performance – When shopping for the right paper shredder for your small office or home needs, there are three crucial performance factors to consider – size and sheet capacity, machine speed, run time, and versatility. The compactness and size of the equipment and how much documents it can handle at a time will depend on how many people will be using the shredder and where it will be placed. Run times refer to the length of time that the machine can operate continuously before needing to cool down. The run time or duty cycle should be based on how long the shredder will be used each day. Machine Speed is the pace with which paper shredders can shred a paper bundle entirely, a specification measured in feet per minute. And lastly, it is essential to look for a shredder that can accommodate all your additional needs. There are shredders specifically manufactured to shred other materials than paper like CDs or DVDs, and even credit cards.
3. More Features – not all shredders are created equal and one factor that sets them apart from another is the set of additional features they have. Beyond the primary technical specifications mentioned above, these features should also be considered:
Jam Proof – the #1 frustration that shredder users experience when shredding documents is paper jams. To address this, look for technologies that can easily reverse if not totally prevent such problems. Anti-jam technologies not only prevents paper jamming and save users from all the inconvenience that such incidence brings, but also ensures a smooth workflow for a faster and more efficient completion of the job.
Ultra Quiet Shredding – for optimal shredding experience, looking for sound minimizing technologies make sense.
Energy Efficient – for more and more professionals and small businesses, energy efficiency has become a must when buying machines and equipment. An energy efficient shredder increases productivity within your home, and sustainability within the community. Energy consumption savings will also equate to monetary savings in the long run.
Safety feature – working with a shredder can become dangerous in the presence of little kids and even danger – prone adults who mindlessly go about their jobs. Built-in safety features can help promote safety even when working with equipment that are meant to destroy documents. These features come in many shapes and forms from specially designed safety covers to something more technologically advanced like sensors that detect hands touching the opening and automatically shut the machine off.
Why You Should Shred Documents
According to a survey conducted by the FTC or Federal Trade Commission, 2016 recorded that a total of 3.7% of the adult population fell victim to identity theft. This equates to a staggering figure of an estimated 8.3 million American consumers, in various states.
Identity theft is among the fastest growing crimes that America faces. Did you know that victims reported that 88% of the personal information collected was stolen from the dumpster? Beyond all the trash, your garbage can be a chock-full of important papers that may reflect some of your most personal information. Dumpster diving thieves can collect pre-approved credit card offers and bills where complete home address, telephone number, email address, bank account information, social security number, employment history and other information can be extracted.
With information becoming a highly valued commodity, the increasing importance of document and credit card shredding has become more prevalent. But aside from making it next to impossible for dumpster divers to plunder and potentially use your information, there are more reasons to get your own paper shredder. Your shredder can be your partner in efficiently clearing up the clutter in your home office and entire home, boosting productivity and creativity. It is also a must to comply with document destruction legislation.
Basically, your small business and home should make it a practice to shred documents to safely dispose of credit card and confidential printed data, as well as prevent identity theft. Your business does not have to be a health institution or a financial company, taking responsibility for managing the proper disposal of confidential documents takes your business and personal life at a higher level with optimal privacy protection.