Air purifiers work to clean the air in your home by eliminating asthmatic triggers such as smoke, pet dander, plant pollen and dust. They can remove particles as small as 0.3 microns and above, helping to make a space 99.9 percent free of dust. Most air purifiers also employ a function that helps dismantle the DNA of germs and kills them on the spot, generally making the air quality in your home healthier to breathe for both you and your family. I have tried out several of what I believe to be some of the best air purifiers on the market to help you make a more informed decision before your next purchase.
Benefits of Buying an Air Purifier
– Rids the home of asthmatic triggers. Things such as dust, dander and pollen can harm the lungs when inhaled, especially for those who are allergic to any of the above. A good air purifier takes care of these allergens and eliminates them so that anyone with asthma or allergies pertaining to the above can breathe freely.
– Eliminates unwanted odors. Smells that come from cooking, pets, children or any other factors can be eliminated by using an air purifier in the home, making your house or apartment an overall more pleasant space to live in.
– Many work to kill germs, viruses and bacteria. Disinfecting your home can only do so much as it only tackles the germs found on surfaces. For those that are airborne, an air purifier can kill them by, in some cases, directly attacking the DNA of these germs and killing them right away.
Factors to Consider Before Buying an Air Purifier
– Budget. Consider how much you are willing to spend and make sure that you are getting the best value for your money. After all, much like anything else you purchase, you get what you pay for.
– HEPA filters. True HEPA filters attack the allergens, bacteria, germs and viruses found in the home. HEPA filters are the only true way to rid a space of these harmful compounds.
– Size of coverage area. Depending on the size of your home, you are going to need an air purifier that can stand up to the test. Larger spaces need a unit that can circulate more air, while smaller spaces such as offices can possibly suffice with a smaller desktop unit.
– Energy efficiency. Factor in the cost of your energy bills and look for air purifiers that help reduce energy costs by employing automatic air quality detection and shut off features.
Tips on How to Choose the Best Air Purifier for Your Needs
– Choose the correctly proportioned air purifier to suit the size of your space.
– Select one with multiple functions or filters to ensure that the proper amount of filtration and purifying is occurring depending on the variables in your home.
– Read online reviews such as the ones below from those who have tried different air purifiers to determine the quality for yourself.
GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter
Top Features of the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter
True HEPA Filter Rids Air of Virtually Everything
The largest benefit of any air purifier is the fact that it effectively works to clear the air of any allergens or other unwanted particles. The GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter is certainly no different. In fact, it may accomplish this task even better than most. This is due to the fact that this air purifier system comes complete with a true HEPA filter. HEPA filters are wonderful in any home whose residents are asthmatic or have any airborne allergies. This filter works to capture an impressive 99.97 percent of all dust and allergens as minuscule as 0.3 microns! This includes any dust in the house, pet dander, plant pollen and mold spores, effectively removing any triggers for asthma. It may be the best air purifier in this regard.
Effectively Removes Odors
Remember that time you made that dish that consisted of plenty of onions and garlic and how you could not quite get that smell to go away for a day, no matter how much air freshener you sprayed? That problem is eliminated with the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter. This air filter works hard, not only to remove allergens and asthmatic triggers, but to remove unwanted odors in the home as well. It possesses a charcoal filter that helps to reduce odors not just from cooking, but also from smoking indoors and unattractive odors from my pets, too. I don’t feel embarrassed to have company over anymore due to my pets all because of the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter. I definitely notice a difference in my air quality.
Kills Harmful Components in the Room
Not only does the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter help get rid of more obvious things like odors and dust, this air filter actually tackles harmful compounds in the room and kills them. It has unique UV-C light technology that serves to kill airborne contaminants such as bacteria and viruses. When the machine is turned on, the UV-C light triggers the titanium dioxide inside of the unit in order to decompose those previously mentioned odors, while it sanitizes the air by effectively and permanently causing damage to the DNA inside of germs so that they die completely. Unlike some air purifiers, this one does not simply push them around the room, allowing it to have health benefits if you or someone in your home is sick.
Great for Medium Sized Room
I have found that the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter works best in rooms of a medium size, such as a living space or master bedroom. This air purifier is a 22-inch tall tower unit and has 3 separate speeds, all of which are effective at cleansing the air in my home. Not only is the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter CADR rated 100+, I can leave it running all day and all night without any noise irritation thanks to its silent operation, making it perfect for use within my bedroom and my children’s bedrooms.
Pros of the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter:
– CADR 100+ rating
– Eliminates odors from cooking, pets, smoking and more
– Gets rid of bacteria and viruses
– HEPA filter
– Kills germ’s DNA to stop the spread
– Perfect for rooms of a medium size
– Rids the air of asthmatic triggers like mold, dust, pet dander and plant pollen
– Ultra quiet operation
Downsides of the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter:
– Initial odor upon turning it on for the first time. While it is to be expected, much like any other air system, the
GermGardian has a bit of a smell the first time I turned it on; however, the odor went away the second time I used it so I would hardly consider it a downside. That said, for the sake of an honest review, I felt it was worth mentioning here.
Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA
Top Features of the Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA
Perfect Fit for Most Rooms in the Home
One problem that I have had with air purifiers in the past is the fact that they are often too small to effectively cleanse the air of most rooms in my home. I do not have this problem with the Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA! This air purifier has been tested in several rooms in my home. It works excellently in my den, master bedroom and even in my open concept kitchen that leads right into my spacious living room. This purifier does not miss a beat, allowing me to deem it perhaps the best air purifier for those who have a larger home that needs air purifying. It can purify the air of rooms ranging up to an impressive 1,100 square feet, making it perfect for helping with the air quality of my basement as well.
I love the fact that I can choose exactly how my Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA looks, right down to the color. I like for things in my home to adhere to a similar color scheme, so not having a garish air purifier sticking out like a sore thumb is great. There are 15 panel color options to choose from so that I can get the right look or change it up depending on my mood. The Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA also comes with four separate filter types: HEPA, an asthmatic trigger filter, a pet and child filter and a filter designed to stop the smell of cleaning fluids and other such things. The airflow is incredible no matter which filter I have in which fills me with peace of mind about the air quality of my home. This leads me to my next point.
Automatic Air Quality Detection
The Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA possesses an automatic sensor that they call the SmartSensor. This helpful feature can automatically detect the quality of air in the room it is in and then adjusts accordingly to purify it. This means if the air in my home is already at a high quality standard, this unit will stop functioning until it has detected a shift in the quality. When it senses that the air needs to be cleansed, it will automatically kick on without me having to go and start it up. Without it running constantly like some other air purifiers, this prolongs the life of the filter I am using and saves big on the energy bill as well. I am always trying to save money wherever I can, so having this advantage makes this one of the best air filters I have tried to date in regards to my budget.
Ultra Silent Operation
Finally, I love that the Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA does not give off that annoying, vibrating buzzing sound that I have heard come from air purifiers before. Instead, this purifier helps keep a serene feel to my home, not just in the quality of the air that it regulates but also in the way that it does not emit distracting, unattractive noises while it is running. This can be attributed to its WhisperMax technology that is designed to rid the unit of any and all of those bothersome, high-frequency sounds.
Pros of the Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA:
– 15 panel color options for decorating the unit according to the motif of the home
– Automatic air quality detection that saves energy and prolongs the filter life
– Covers up to 1,100 square feet at a time, making it perfect for most rooms in any home
– Four unique filters: HEPA, anti-asthmatic, anti-chemical and pet and child filters
– WhisperMax technology
Downsides of the Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA:
– Price. The Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA is definitely one of the more expensive air purifiers out there, but, thanks to its energy saving abilities and unique filters, I think it is the best air purifier for the money! It pays for itself eventually thanks to the savings on my energy bill.
Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier
Top Features of the Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier
Filter Similar to a HEPA Filter
The Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier uses a filter that is very similar to the well-loved and highly effective HEPA filter found in some air purifiers. This filter is great for removing up to 99 percent of airborne particles. These particles can be as impressively small as 0.2 microns and still get eliminated with ease. Once these particles, such as pet allergens, dust, plant pollen or other asthmatic triggers have been captured within the Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier, the activated carbon filter that rests inside of the unit works to remove odors and allergens from the air. This is much more effective than some other air purifiers whose operations only work to mask these odors or push them around the room until they go away on their own. I have noticed that it helps get rid of smells from my pets and residual cooking smells as well.
3 Speed Settings
The Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier comes with three separate speed settings. This is great for optimizing it to the room that I am using so that I do not have to waste too much energy on a space that needs less purification than some of the others do. This promises to help save me money both on replacement filters, as it helps prolong their lives, but it also helps me save money on my power bills because it is not working unnecessarily harder than it needs to in order to get the job done. I would also like to mention that the Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier comes with an optional ionizer selection that can be used at any of the three speed levels. This ionizer helps remove the aforementioned particles and makes the machine more effective.
Multiple Orientation Options
Some of the air purifiers that I have used in the past are rather large and bulky. Not only does this cause quite the eye sore in my home, it takes up more room than necessary, making my space feel cluttered and reducing square footage that could otherwise be used for furniture or decor. I do not have this issue with the Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier. This air purifier is compact and relatively lightweight. It can sit atop any desk, occasional table, counter or other surface without taking over the area. I am able to place it both vertically and horizontally to accommodate my space with ease. It is also made from a durable plastic encasement that comes with Microban protection. The Microban protection works to protect the Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier from any microbial growth such as bacteria, mold and mildew.
Suited for Smaller Rooms
The Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier is best suited for rooms averaging around 109 square feet. This makes it great for kids’ rooms and office spaces or other small locations that need a bit of cleansing. Because of its compact, portable and powerful nature, I think this might be the best air purifier for the money.
Finally, I would like to mention that the Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier has a super silent operation that allows me to run it during the night without waking myself up or waking up the kids when I place it in their rooms for 24/7 purification.
Pros of the Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier:
– 3 unique speed settings
– Perfect for smaller rooms
– Reduces dust and other allergens
– Resists microbial growth
– Silent operation
– Sits horizontally or vertically on any surface
Downsides of the Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier:
– Smaller rooms. Since the Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier is compact, it is the best air purifier for smaller rooms such as a child’s bedroom, playroom, small living room or guest room. This is hardly a downside as it is very effective at cleansing small spaces and uses less energy because of it! After all, there is no need for overkill when it comes to your air purifier in a smaller home; this helps to save money on energy bills by not using a unit that is larger than necessary.
Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover
Top Features of the Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover
Captures and Eliminates Airborne Germs
In order for me to feel good about the air purifier that I am using in my home, I need to know that it is working its hardest to eliminate germs that can cause me or my family to fall ill. The Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover does just that and delivers peace of mind knowing that I am doing all that I can to ensure that the air my family is breathing is high quality. The Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover captures these airborne germs such as viruses and bacteria and the HEPA aspect of the air purifier breaks them down instead of simply dispersing them around the room and, subsequently, the home.
One of the things that I love about the Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover is its ability to circulate the air around any given room. I can actually seem to feel the air getting cleaner and I can feel myself begin to breathe easier while it runs. It covers a decent sized room measuring 465 square feet quite nicely. The Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover is rated AHAM CADR 300, which is fantastic. It circulates the air that it cleanses effectively around the room up to 5 times per hour, assuring me that no stagnant air is sitting around and brewing any dust or other allergens that could hurt my family. This is definitely the best air purifier in terms of air circulation.
I like to use the Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover near my kitchen when I cook because it does an incredible job at eliminating odors that come from cooking! No matter what ingredients I use and how bad they smell, if I am running the Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover, those unpleasant smells are gone in no time at all. This is also great at reducing the smells that come off of my beloved pets, allowing me to have guests over to my home more often without me scrambling to spray down the house out of embarrassment of the smells that they can sometimes produce. Overall, unpleasant odors are a thing of the past with this air purifier.
Finally, I want to talk about the settings on the Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover. This air purifier has easy tap controls that can be activated with the slightest tough of the fingers. There are three unique air cleaning levels. I take advantage of the different ones depending on what room I am in and how desperate that room is in need of cleansing and purifying. There is also a Turbo Clean setting for when the air quality in my home is exceptionally nasty or I need to hurry and get rid of bad odors. The Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover comes with two, four, and eight hour timers so that I never have to worry about switching it off, and it even features an electronic filter replacement alert so that I never let the filter sit too long to where it does not effectively clean my home anymore.
Pros of the Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover:
– 2, 4 and 8-hour timers
– 3 settings plus a Turbo Clean setting
– 465 square feet range
– AHAM CADR 300+ rating
– Circulates the air around any given room up to 5 times an hour to prevent stagnation
– Electronic filter replacement reminders
– Eliminates airborne viruses and bacteria
– Eliminates household odors from pets, cooking and more
– Removes allergens like dust, pet dander and plant pollen
Downsides of the Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover:
– Price. The Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover certainly is one of the pricier options when it comes to air purifiers, but I find it is well worth the money. The best air purifier in terms of value, the Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover comes with so many settings, a high CADR rating, allergen and germ eliminators, timers, a Turbo setting, a large range of circulation and such repetitive circulation every hour that I feel it is quite the positive investment. I hardly consider the price a downside, but for those mindful of the budget, I suppose it is worth considering.
GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter
Top Features of the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter:
My favorite thing about the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter is the fact that it has a true HEPA filter. I always look for these in air purifiers because they are renowned for the efficient work that they do. The GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter captures 99.97 percent of all allergens found in a home. This includes smoke, pet dander, plant pollen, dust mites and more. Speaking of pet dander, the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter has a Pet Pure treatment that serves to function as an anti-microbial agent that has been added to the HEPA filter itself. This prohibits the growth of mold, odor-causing bacteria and mildew on the surface of the filter meaning that the unit will not blow the contaminants around the room if I don’t get around to changing the filter as soon as I should.
There is a charcoal filter on the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter as well that works in harmony with both the HEPA filter and the Pet Pure treatment. This charcoal feature helps to reduce common odors in the home. I have noticed that this air purifier does an exceptional job at this and, ever since I have implemented this into my home, cooking odors do not linger for long after making a meal, leaving my kitchen smelling fresh and clean. It also reduces a number of different kinds of smoke that can cloud up a home and make it smell bad. The GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter works as well to remove any odors for my pets which helps instill my confidence when I have house guests over.
It Kills Germs and Doesn’t Just Push them Around
There is a unique combination of technology working inside of the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter that I absolutely love. This air purifier features a UV-C light technology. When this UV-C light is activated by turning on the air purifier, it triggers titanium dioxide that works harmoniously with the UV-C light to kill airborne germs, mold, bacteria and viruses. It does this by attacking the actual DNA found in germs to effectively eliminate the germs altogether instead of just moving the air away from the unit and “clarifying” the air in that respect.
Great for Medium to Large Spaces
The last thing that I want to touch upon when it comes to the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter is the fact that it is effective at tackling germs and odors in medium to large spaces. Many air filers seem to only be able to handle small to medium rooms, so with my larger home, I appreciate the efficiency that this GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter employs. This purifier is a 28-inch tall tower. It is digital and comes with 5 separate speeds that can be employed depending on the level of purification that I need, helping me to maintain a healthy air quality as well as a reasonably priced power bill. I would also like to mention that this air purifier has a 125+ CADR rating. This is the best air purifier for nicely sized areas in the home.
Pros of the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter:
– Eliminates odors
– Perfect for medium to large spaces
– Removes germs, viruses, bacteria and a 99.97 percent of allergens
– Resistant to mildew and mold
– UV-C and titanium dioxide technology kills germs
Downsides of the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter:
– Initial smell. Upon turning the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter on for the first time, there was a faint plastic smell. After running it for a few hours, the smell went away and it has not returned.
I choose the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter because of its authentic HEPA filter. It effectively cleansed my air and it definitely eliminates all odors in my home. I love the UV-C and titanium dioxide technology and its ultra quiet operation that allows me to run it as often as I like. Its 3 speed settings and ability to tackle a medium sized room allows me to recommend this for anyone with an average sized home who wants the cleanest air possible.